Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Interesting Arcade Collecting Post

If you've ever wondered what goes into finding those rare nuggets, or just generally what goes into finding games, or even the trials and tribulations of the average collector, this article is a great read!

http://www.tollianweb.com/uc/Cosmic_Chasm_Cube_Quest.html

One quote from the above posting:
On April 28, 2007, I was moving a pinball game, carrying the head down three flights of stairs. Not a really heavy item, but bulky with no good place to grab it. Just as I started the last flight, I stubbed my toe into the carpet on the stair. My shoe stuck to the carpet a little bit. Normally wouldn’t have been an issue, but holding the head of the pin, it spun me around and I lost my balance. At the last second, I released the pin head and grabbed for the banister. My fingers grazed it, but not enough to hold on. I tumbled backwards head over heels about four times down a flight of 24 stairs, with the head of a pinball game bouncing down about a half second ahead of me. I heard the pin head crash onto the floor and the back glass explode and I mentally braced for some pretty bad cuts. As it turned out, as with most pinball back glasses, the glass was safety glass and shattered into about a million very small pieces. I didn’t get a single cut, didn’t shed a single drop of blood. However, I shattered my right hip, broke it in three places, splintered it, fractured it and sliced it open. It was a major injury. I would be in the hospital for a long time, then on crutches for four months and pretty much a shut-in at home facing a long and difficult recovery.

So why do we put ourselves through this?!?
Do the ends justify the means? Read the post above and judge for yourself...

No comments: